Elizabeth is the name of the bass guitar owned by Mio Akiyama, whose birthday is on the 15th of January! Elizabeth is Fender Japan's reissue of of the '62 Jazz Bass, in 3-Tone Sunburst. Although some people have noted that Mio 'plays her bass the wrong way' it's actually the case that she's left handed, and uses a left handed model. Elizabeth's name is actually a pun when written as 'エリザベス' in Japanese. Phonetically, it is pronoucned as 'Elizabesu' and 'besu' can either mean 'bass' or 'beth'.
As a bassist, Mio's role in Ho-kago Tea Time is often misunderstood by those not familiar with the instrument. Bass can be seen as the half-way point between melody and rhythm. In this sense, it provides the rhytmic pulse that lead guitar often can't, and it also provides a layer of harmony that drums can't. Unlike electric guitar, the strings of the bass guitar can be plucked with your fingers rather than just using a pick. However, Mio uses both methods throughout the anime since both can create different kinds of sounds. Did you know that in the manga, Mio actually owns a Fender Precision Bass in the same colours, and only starts using her Jazz Bass in her third year of high school?
Utauyo!! MIRACLE (I'll sing!! MIRACLE in English) is used as the opening theme song of the K-ON!! anime from episode 14, of season 2. It is an incredible, heart-pounding song, full of energy, where Yui sings... well just for the sake of singing?! In true Ho-kago Tea Time, the lyrics boldly state that it doesn't matter if the lyrics are iffy, or if the songs themselves are clumsy, since all that matters is that HTT loves you and everyone can best express their love through song.
However, as a bassist, the current wiki administrator really loves the bassline of this song. It flows seamlessly through so many of the strengths of bass guitar: the harmony through the chorus, the pulsing through the verses. Not to mention the slap bass used during the guitar solo! Granted, it may be a very difficult song for a beginner to learn (and even the admin hasn't mastered the song yet), but it would definitely be a great goal to work towards for any aspiring bassist!
The seniors of the Light Music Club are about to graduate, and they have a couple of burning questions on their minds. Firstly, how do they want to spend their last days as high school students? This one's easy - by going to London, taking in the sights, and even playing a couple of shows while there. However, a more private question that the seniors are asking themselves is all to do with their junior member, Azusa. What can the four of them do for her as their parting gift? What do they want to leave behind for her? You'll soon find out that there really is only one logical answer to this question - something that only the Light Music Club can do...
Sound interesting? Read More...
- This is honestly too close to call, so I'll give this Round one more week, until the 15th of February
- Guitar solos for: Curry Nochi Rice, GO! GO! MANIAC, Ho-kago Tea Time (Solo 1), and Utauyo! Miracle
- Current finalists: Don't Say Lazy, Tenshi ni Fureta yo!, U&I, and Come With Me!!, Genius...!?
- We're almost done... just one more normal round, then a bonus round, and then the winner will be decided. Thanks for sticking around!
- See here for old poll results.
- A very happy birthday to Sawako Yamanaka, nicknamed 'Sawa-chan' by her students, born January 31st, 1985! Although she was also in the Light Music Club when she attended Sakuragaoka High School, it was a surprise to everyone that their 'light music' band was actually a speed metal band called Death Devil! Who knows what other surprises she has in store...