|Ho-kago Tea Time|
|Manga Debut||Volume 2, Chapter 9|
|Anime Debut||Season 1, Episode 11: Crisis!|
Azusa Nakano (formerly)
Ho-kago Tea Time (
The five Sakuragaoka High School students Yui Hirasawa, Mio Akiyama, Ritsu Tainaka, Tsumugi Kotobuki and Azusa Nakano were members of the school's Light Music Club for an already long time when the first questions about forming an own independent band appeared. The idea was to gather together to play music while not being primarily bound at the school. The only real problem was to find a name for the band. After endless discussions, the club's adviser Sawako Yamanaka took on it irritated and gave the band its current name, Ho-kago Tea Time (After School Tea Time in English), which is an allusion to the main activities in the Light Music Club, gathering together to drink tea after school has ended. The members, although disappointed about not being able to decide the name by their own, took it on willingly after all.
For the next concerts, rather than performing as the Light Music Club, they addressed to themselves as Ho-kago Tea Time. Together, they experienced many events like visiting the "Natsu Rock Fest", performing alongside the band Death Devil or even in London at a "Japanese Culture Festival". As the third year of the four seniors came to an end however, the band had to split. While Azusa stayed behind to form her own band, Wakaba Girls, out of the new cast of the Light Music Club, the four seniors Yui, Mio, Ritsu and Tsumugi started to attend the J. Women's university where they continued as Ho-kago Tea Time with one member less than before. Eventually, the band joined the university's Light Music Club where they started a friendly rivalry with the band OnNaGumi.
- Yui Hirasawa - Lead Guitar, Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals
- Mio Akiyama - Bass, Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals
- Ritsu Tainaka - Drums, Backing Vocals
- Tsumugi Kotobuki - Keyboard, Backing Vocals, Lead Vocals (one song)
- Azusa Nakano - Rhythm Guitar, Backing Vocals, Lead Guitar (filled in for Yui, one show), Lead Vocals (alongside Yui, one show)
- Sawako Yamanaka - Rhythm Guitar (guest, one show)
Aside from the task of playing an instrument, Mio and Tsumugi both have organizational roles in the band as well. Mio is the band's lyric writer and Tsumugi is the musical composer.
After the oldest four members of the band graduated, HTT returned to the four member line-up it originally had during the first year at the Light Music Club.
Ho-kago Tea Time has an overall Punk Rock musical sound, with other influences such as Jazz (due to Mio and Azusa), Hard Rock (due to Ritsu), and Rock & Roll (due to Tsumugi). However the band's lyrics are mostly focused on sweets, tea, or similarly lighthearted themes, thus, Pop Punk (the manga even describes HTT as Pop Punk).
The skill of the band is still an area for improvement, but each member realized that it is not musical talent that matters but their close friendship inside of the band. Azusa noticed that even though they some of them aren't very talented, they sound amazing when they play together. Ritsu once taught Yui that, even if everybody is different from the other, as long as they play together, they become one.
- Cagayake! GIRLS
- Curry Nochi Rice
- Don't say "lazy"
- Fude Pen ~Ball Pen~
- Fuwa Fuwa Time
- Fuyu no Hi
- Girls in Wonderland
- GO! GO! MANIAC
- Gohan wa Okazu
- Happy!? Sorry!!
- Ho-kago Tea Time
- Honey Sweet Tea Time
- Ichiban Ippai
- Ichigo Parfait ga Tomaranai
- Kira Kira Days
- NO, Thank You!
- Ohayou, Mata Ashita
- Our MAGIC
- Pure Pure Heart
- Sakuragaoka Joshi Koutou Gakkou Kouka (Cover Song)
- Samidare 20 Love
- Sweet Bitter Beauty Song
- Tenshi ni Fureta yo!
- Tokimeki Sugar
- Tsubasa wo Kudasai (Cover Song)
- Utauyo!! MIRACLE
- Watashi no Koi wa Hotch Kiss
- The vast majority of the time the band's two guitars play in separate audio channels; Yui's guitar is always on the left channel and Azusa's is always on the right.
- Before Azusa joined the band the rule was reversed, with Yui's guitar on the right channel and no guitar on the left.
- Occasional exceptions are certain main riffs or solos where whichever guitar is playing the riff/solo plays in both channels while the other guitar continues to only play on its side. However, this only occurs with studio versions of songs; all live versions strictly adhere to this rule.
- The rule also applies to Yui and Azusa's duet group YuiAzu and their version of Fude Pen ~Ballpoint Pen~, however their guitars are only panned roughly halfway to each side in this song. This is likely because fully panning them would sound odd when they're the only two instruments.
- The live version of Fude Pen ~Ballpoint Pen~ played in Light Music! correctly has the main riffs and solo on the right channel, as Azusa played those parts in Yui's place along with her own parts, while Sawako played the rest of Yui's parts.
- The short riffs that play with each episode title in season 2 are made to sound as if HTT is playing them. They use the same instruments and even follow the Yui/Azusa guitar channel split rule mentioned above.